After six years at the bargaining table, members of Local 1400 overwhelmingly ratified a 10-year contract with the Port Authority of NY & NJ on July 27. An unprecedented 77% of the members cast ballots with 97% voting “Yes” to ratify the contract.
- Compounded wage increases totaling 29.87% for members with 10 years or more.
- Compounded wage increases totaling 23.69% for members up to 10 years, after their 10 anniversary they’ll receive an additional 5% increase.
- Full retroactivity.
- A $1,000 signing bonus and an annual $750 bonus for all active members.
- Healthcare contributions at 2% of base pay starting in 2019, increasing to 2.5% in 2021.
- Maintained full medical and dental for retirees
- Implementation of Automated Electronic Tolling (AET) – No Toll Collector or Senior Toll Collector, as a result of AET, will be laid off or lose any then-existing base pay or benefits.
The contract will be in effect until July 27, 2022.
“Thanks to all of you who came out and took the time to vote not just for your future, but for the future of all your local sisters and brothers. Instead of caving in to demands, we all worked long and hard to negotiate an acceptable contract,” said TWU International Secretary-Treasurer Jerome Lafragola. “Local 1400 officers made four commitments from the outset: No Zeros, Retroactive Pay, Protect Medical in Retirement and Protect Toll Collectors Jobs. The officers never wavered on these declarations to the membership – and that’s why the ‘Yes’ vote was overwhelming.”